Reading in Key Stage 2
In school, we have developed a reading offer to ensure that every child becomes a fluent, confident and enthusiastic reader with opportunities to read, discuss and listen to stories.
- Your child will receive a daily reading/phonics lesson, where they will be taught specific reading skills.
- Your child’s teacher will read the ‘Class Read’ to the whole class every day.
- There will be opportunities to read in EVERY lesson (including Maths, Geography, History, Science etc)
- Your child will have independent reading time every day to read and discuss their books.
- Each class has their own bookcase which is stocked with books carefully selected from lists of recommended reads for their year group, along with a range of familiar favourites and popular reads.
To support your child’s development of reading skills and enjoyment of reading, we have developed these opportunities to engage with reading as a family:
- Your child will bring home a Book Band Book matched to their reading age and one of the new Reading for Pleasure books.
- Please ensure your child’s Book Band Book and Reading for Pleasure Book are brought into school every day because they will be used in lessons throughout the week.
- Children also have the opportunity to access the school library once a week to change their library book, and the school library is open from 3:30-4:00 every Monday during term time for the whole family to enjoy.